G&T REVISED & UPDATED PREP COURSE
GIFTED & TALENTED PREP COURSE COMBINES:
OLSAT & NNAT®2 & (ERB) REQUIREMENTS
What Makes our Gifted and Talented Prep Most Effective & Unique?
NO Other Program Prepares More Students
- RESULTS! Consistently Outstanding! A proven approach taught in a classroom.
- Experience: FasTracKids has been preparing children for entrance into the NYC G&T program since August 2003! Longer than any other service in NYC.
- Extensive Scheduling Options: Test prep slots are available 7 days a week!
- Convenient & Accommodating Location: In the Heart of Queens, Rego Park, New York
- Tools, Technology & Manipulatives: Our G&T course is the only one in NYC to use SMART Boards, touch screen technology, and hands-on manipulatives to make the course and our instruction more engaging, relevant and varied for students.
- Affordable Options: Whether you prefer 1:1 Private Tutoring or Group Classes, our center offer both options.
- Fun & Engaging for Students: Students are eager and interested in learning in a fun, interactive classroom environment with experienced teachers who have patience, skill and dedication so that your child will become self-motivated to learn and succeed.
NYC’s #1 Gifted & Talented Learning Center Rego Park, Queens!
FasTracKids is the first institution in New York City to offer complete preparation for New York City DOE Gifted and Talented Admission since 2003. Our experience and focus make us the market leader in the field.
Every year, thousands of parents trust FasTracKids centers all over NYC to help their children to achieve their goals. Our unique training system is NYC parents’ best kept secret to get their children to excel on gifted and talented tests.
Our exclusive class setting trains for confidence, attention, responsiveness and many more important skills that are difficult, if not impossible, to achieve by home training.
These essential attributes determine which students get the upper hand in the increasingly competitive gifted and talented tests each year.
Trust the most experienced. Trust our alumni and parents who are continuously bringing more siblings, younger children and friends to our program each year.
Your child only gets one chance a year and competition will only get more and more vigorous. You want your child to get in G&T on the first try.
NNAT ® – Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test
The Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) assess general reasoning ability in children. Like all nonverbal ability tests, the NNAT is intended to assess cognitive ability independently of linguistic and cultural background.
Area of Testing
- Pattern Completion: Ability to recognize pattern and identify the missing portion
- Reasoning by Analogy: Ability to recognize relationships between several geometric shapes
- Serial Reasoning: Ability to recognize the sequence of shapes
- Spatial Visualization: Ability to recognize how two or more objects would look if combined
On the NNAT, often students “don’t understand what they’re supposed to do,” said David Lohman, a professor of educational psychology at the University of Iowa. Therefore, it is very important for students to learn what to do when tackling these kind of abstract questions.
OLSAT® – Otis-Lennon School Ability Test
The Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT®) is a measure of abstract thinking and reasoning ability of children pre-K to 18.
Area of Testing:
- Verbal Comprehension: Measures the ability to manipulate or respond to information through listening, i.e. following directions
- Verbal Reasoning: Measures the ability to discover patterns or relationships and to solve problems through the use of language, i.e.aural reasoning & arithmetic reasoning
New York City DOE – Gifted and Talented Program
Starting from 2012/2013 G&T admission, The New York City Department of Education has adopted the use of the OLSAT® and NNAT® for admission to the gifted and talented program in elementary school.
In 2012/2013 exam, NNAT will count for 2/3 toward the total score, while OLSAT will count for the remaining 1/3.
This program will prepare the students for both OLSAT & NNAT
>> NNAT 50% + OLSAT 50% <<<
NNAT Skill sets: Non-verbal Reasoning Skills
- Pattern Completion
- Pictorial Analogy
- Figural Analogy
- Serial Reasoning
- Spatial Visualization
- OLSAT skill sets:
- Verbal Comprehension
- Verbal Reasoning
- Be familiar with exam format
- Problem solving strategies
- Listening skills
- Learn the necessary vocabularies
- Trained for proper behavior
- Ability to follow directions
- Get over the shyness and nervousness
- Trained for the necessary attention span
- Be familiar with the testing environment
An updated gifted and talented special course is exclusively offered to prepare Pre-K and Kindergarten students for a much more intensive and rigorous test requirements students are faced with starting in January 2017.
For 2016-2017 testing season, the NYC Department of Education will keep OLSAT going forward and will switch the Bracken test with the NNAT®2. Bracken (previous OLSAT) was a knowledge test, while the NNAT®2 (current requirement) is a non-verbal ability test. The new updated test will be more complex than in the past years and consists of 4 different types of non-verbal skills such as 1) pattern completions, 2) analogical reasoning, 3) serial reasoning and 4) spatial visualization. It typically takes about 30 minutes to administer the 48 questions.
This is a welcome change, since Bracken, a knowledge test, does not test for giftedness. However, a NNAT®2 test that is given in many parts of the country, is designed more for testing for giftedness and does not require any verbal skills. Given NYC’s diverse population, NNAT®2 is not only a better measure of raw intelligence, but also does not discriminate against kids whose first language is not English.
Furthermore, the NNAT®2 will make up a 2/3rd portion of your child’s score, while the Bracken will make up the final 1/3rd.
There will be a total of 14 class sessions – each lasting 1.5 hours.
To maximize the attention given to your child, we have set a limit of 10 students per class with 2 teachers (max 5:1 student to teacher ratio). SPACE IS LIMITED SO RESERVE YOUR SPACE NOW.
Please call us for the class schedule. Class runs from September to December